This page contains WAEC and JAMB subject combination for psychology, admission requirements, list of Nigeria universities offering psychology and job opportunities.
Not only that am also going to show you the A level requirements, UTME cut off mark plus the major objectives of studying the course in the university.
Admission requirements for UTME candidates
Candidates for admission into the four years degree program in psychology in addition to fulfilling the general requirements for admission into any Nigerian university, should possess an SSCE, NECO, GCE or their equivalents with at least five credit pass.
Three of which shall be Englsih language, Biology, and Mathematics. However, candidates must not score below required cut off mark score in UTME for the perspective year of admission and also candidates must take appropriate UTME subjects.
JAMB Subject combination for psychology In Nigeria University
- English language.
- Any subject.
WAEC subject combination for psychology
- Any other 3 subject.
JAMB UTME Cut Off Mark For Psychology
The general JAMB cut off mark for psychology in all Nigeria institutions is 180, in most schools like UNILAG, FUNAI etc you need to score at least 200 in JAMB to be able to qualify for their Post UTME examination.
Direct Entry admission requirement for psychology
For you to be able to qualify for admission you need to meet up with the following requirements, as we all already known that you are going to gain admission into 200 level without writing JAMB below are what you need to meet up before you can be qualified to gain admission in Nigeria University including UNILAG.
- Five (5.) credits in your o’level (WAEC, NECO GCE Exam.)
- Added to that, Five (5) Credits in your o’level result, you are required to have at least two (2) A’level passes in Arts or Social Science subjects.
- Finally , All candidates with ND and NCE result in social development or any Art or social science course with a minimum of merit and lower credit passes respectively can also apply for Direct Entry.
Major objectives of psychology program
- To provide students with general liberal education and to provide a foundation for post baccalaureate training in psychology and closely related discipline such as law, communication.
- To instill in students who offer psychology as major the sense of enthusiasm, professionalism and an appreciation of it’s applications.
- To provide students with balanced foundation of psychological knowledge and practical skills.
Job opportunities in psychology
Professionalism in psychology requires a good postgraduate training in a specially area such as clinical, industrial, health, military etc, there are still lots of opportunities for holders of Bachelor of Science degree in psychology. Such employment areas are:
- The military Army, Navy and air force
- The prisons
- Police force
- Security and intelligence organization
- Schools: primary, secondary, University, polytechnics, colleges of education
- Clinical, psychiatric and general hospitals and medical colleges
- Private industrial and business organizations
- State and federal government services and foreign
- All areas of human endeavour.
Psychology as an academic and professional discipline is concerned with the scientific study and management of human and animal behaviour.
The basic philosophy of (B.Sc) programme in psychology is to equip students with basic skills, concept and abilities which can help them understand, predict, and change human and animal behaviours for overall social, economic, political and national development.
The B. Sc programme is intended for students planning to pursue advanced work in psychology or in a related discipline. It also includes requirements for specific courses in statistics, clinical industrial and in experimental ppsycholog, as well as some special requirements on mathematics and natural sciences, especially biology.
Recommended: JAMB Subject Combination For Sociology
Stress Areas in psychology
- Cognitive processes
- Statistical and methodological issues
- Experimental psychology
- Physiological and comparative psychology
- Social and industrial psychology
- Developmental/abnormal psychology
- Personality and assessment
- Theories and systems
- Culture/environmental psychology
For a student to be awarded a B.sc. in psychology, he/she must complete 140 unit hours of courses in psychology and examined in the courses.
The student must have passed all the major compulsory, required and elected courses by the end of last semester examination of final year.
List Of Universities Offering Psychology in Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo.
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Ekiti State University
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT)
- Gregory University, Uturu
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ibadan (UI), Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kogi State University Anyigba
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Lagos State University, Ojo (LASU)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Nile University of Nigeria, Abuja
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Ondo State University of Medical Sciences (OSUMS)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo.
Finally, I strongly believe that this article have opened your eye about psychology degree programme in Nigeria plus the major o’ level/ JAMB subject combination for psychology in University.Share This Article To Your Friends.