Are you looking for how to open PayPal account in Nigeria that can send and receive money without any restrictions? That is exactly what you will learn on this page.
If you a blogger, digital marketer, freelancer, or online business owner? PayPal account is very important for you to send and receive money internationally with ease.
Alot of Nigerians have been finding it difficult to create a paypal account that can receive money in Nigeria, if you are mong those facing such challenge then, consider yourself lucky because I will show you the requirements and how to open PayPal account in Nigeria.
Are ready for the practical guide?
What Is PayPal?
Paypay is a safe way to perform any financial transactions online, it allows people to make payment for anything online without having to enter their card details.
PayPal is basically for anyone who pays online, you can shop or make international transactions with just your email and password.
It is a financial company own by eBay a United States based company. PayPal is also the leading online payment solution that is available in about 200 countries and operating about 25 currencies worldwide. It enables global e-commerce by making payments possible.
The fact is that it is the best financial service platform in the world. They allow you to pay in anyway you prefer including through bank account, credit cards, PayPal smart connect or account balances, without sharing financial information.
Many Nigerians was unable to create PayPal account in the past, but the good news is that you can now open PayPal account in Nigeria that receives funds.
How does paypal work?
When you link your bank account, credit card or debit card to your PayPal account, you can use PayPal to make purchases online with participating stores like mercari or eBay.
When you are shopping online, PayPal makes shopping convenient and gives you confidence to make payment online even when you don’t know the seller.
When you purchase with PayPal there are no hidden charges, the only time that you will he charges is when you are trying to convert currency.
If someone sends funds from their bank account to you it will take about 3 days to processed. And if you are trying to send money and you mistakenly enter wrong email the fund will be stopped and it will be revert back to the sender after 30days.
But, if your account is unverified you may not be able to receive fund easily because fund may be withheld for up to 21days while your payment is in pending status.
Have you seen that having PayPal account is very important as as a freelancer or someone doing any online business in Nigeria.
Requirements for creating a PayPal account in Nigeria:
- If you are creating individual account you will need Your mobile number, you will use it to confirm that you are the owner or primary user of that mobile phone number.
You agree to receive automated texts to confirm your phone number. Message and data rates may apply.
- To open business account you will need a Valid email address, you can use any email either Gmail, yahoo mail or professional email address that is yours, But I recommed Gmail.
- Visa or Master Card that is linked to a Nigerian bank account, the account must be linked to your BVN. this is to enable you receive funds into your account and to confirm if the card is yours they will have to debit a small charge from your account, and once you confirm the transaction, the account is verified.
Note: you can’t link Verve card to PayPal, because as of December 2018 inter switch verve card stopped working with the service. And business accounts are now available to e-commerce merchants in Nigeria.
Types of PayPal accounts
- Personal account
- Business account.
Both of them are good and they can serve the same purpose but, there is still differences between both of them.
1. Personal account;
This account is good for an individual that want to open PayPal account in Nigeria for the purpose of using it to make payments online, it may be to pay for goods or services online.
2. Business account;
Business PayPal account is very good for those doing any online business that pays in dollars in Nigeria, your clients can easily send money to you without stress.
Another good thing about this type of account is that you can add any of your employee like your accountant for accounting. And you can also integrate it on a website so that people can be able to make payment into your account through your website.
A PayPal business account makes it fast and easy for businesses just getting started, as well as those that are more established, to accept and process credit card payments, debit card payments, and more in over 25 currencies and from over 200 countries.
However, business account is an ideal for business owners as it gives them additional features.
How to open PayPal account in Nigeria:
Below is the step by step guide to open a PayPal account that receive money in Nigeria without any limit or restrictions.
- Visit https://www.paypal.com/
- Click on open a business account, if you are trying to open business PayPal account for your business if not click on sign up for free which is to open and individual account.
- Add your email address and click on next You will receive an automatic email containing your 6 digit PayPal confirmation code, input it in the space provided. Or click on confirmation link sent.
- Now, type in your Unique security password and click on next.
- Describe your business by entering your legal business name, here your business details, address and phone number is required such as;
- Names; Enter your legal first name and last name.
- Business details or name; here you are to enter your business name if it is registered, else you may just type in your name.
- Business phone number; click and select Nigeria by clicking on the flag or country code.
- Post code; you may search Google to get your state post office code that is working.
- Business address; Enter your business location if you have a physical address for your business else, you any type in your house address.
- Currency; Here, you are to choose any currency that you want, you may choose naira or US dollar, Click on next.
- After the page has loaded it will bring out describe your business by;
- typing the business type is it individual or sole proprietorship.
- Enter any word related to product or service that you offered.
- Enter your website URL, this is optional since most persons does not have a website for their business, Click on continue.
- Now go and add your debit card details. Such as; expiry date and the last 3 digits behind your debit card.
- Now, go to your email account and click on verify.
- Wait for the page to load, Your account is created.
- Finally, test it by sending at least $10 to anyone or to your PayPal account abroad if you have any.
- You get debited in Naira and you should get an alert from your local bank Account.
How to Open PayPal account in Nigeria through first bank wallet;
PayPal is an online payment solutions company offers simplified and secure online payment without the need to reveal financial information or card details to the merchant.
They help to protect users against fraud and FirstBank has entered into an alliance with this payment service. To open PayPal account in Nigeria through first bank, follow the steps below;
- Firstly, log in to your internet banking account using your password and token.
- Then choose the “PayPal wallet” in the main tab and click “Create PayPal Wallet” on the drop-down menu
- Afterwards, select which cards you wish to link to your PayPal account and which card will be the default card. Try using one card for easy reconciliation.
- Press the button on your online token and confirm accordingly.
- Create a password in the pop-up window that appears.
- Click on “Agree and create account”.
- Finally, go to your registered email account with the bank which confirms that you have created a PayPal account.
Note: you can’t be able to receive payment into first bank individual account but you can send, you can only receive funds if you create business PayPal account using the first process above.
- Top 13 Ways To Make Money Online In Nigeria
- Best Side Hustles In Nigeria That Pays
- Daily Income Business In Nigeria To Earn 150k Weekly
Benefits of creating a PayPal account through First bank;
- You will be able to Instantly activate your account.
- Higher transaction success rates at over 9 million international merchant sites.
- You do not share your financial information to any merchant.
- Receive 100% protection assurance from PayPal.
- You never have to input your card details when consummating payments on PayPal- enabled websites.
- Shop secure with just your email address and password.
- Receive a full refund from PayPal in disputed purchases i.e. when wrong or damaged items are sent, or when goods do not arrive as expected.
- Get exclusive mind-blowing discounts and free shipping to Nigeria in participating merchant sites.
Frequest asked questions (FAQs):
Is a PayPal business free?
Yes, PayPal business account is free to create, you can only pay transaction fees when your customers pay you.
Is PayPal banned in Nigeria?
No, but it was banned in the past due to internet fraud, which they later reactivate It back in 2015 for people to start using in Nigeria.
Yes, you can link any Nigerian banks that accept PayPal into your PayPal account, most especially first bank which officially support paypal.
Can I use PayPal to receive money in Nigeria?
Yes, you can use a PayPal account to receive money but you can’t use a personal PayPal account to receive funds in Nigeria but you can send funds out. For you to receive money into a PayPal account you need to open a business PayPal account in Nigeria.
How do I verify my PayPal account in Nigeria?
After you might have open PayPal account in Nigeria to be able to receive funds into it you may need to validate the account by follow the steps below;
- After creating a PayPal account, a link will be sent to your email click on the link.
- Add your valid visa or master card and confirm the close in the transaction.
Yes, to link it follow the process below;
Login to your PayPal account and navigate to the menu bar and select the option to link your credit or debit card or to get verifyied on the space available, input your card details and click on continue.
How can I fund my PayPal account in Nigeria?
There are different ways for you to fund your PayPal account but the best and most safest way is through your debit card.
You just need to visit your bank and tell them to give you debit card that accept US dollars. Once they give you the card, add it to your account and make sure that there is money in your debit card.
What documents do I need to for PayPal verification?
Voters card, national identity card, drivers license international passport, utility bill or bank statements. You can use any of these document above.
Does GTB work with PayPal?
Yes, you can link your GTB card to PayPal if you have an account with them.
Does WEMA support PayPal?
Yes, but on April 7th, 2014 a Twitter user asked the above question and wema Bank replied through their twitter account saying;
@DrFollowBack1 Paypal does not offer its services in Nigeria. No Nigerian based accounts or cards are allowed on the platform yet.
But on Auguest 31st, 2018 they also replied a twitter user that PayPal is now working fine in Nigeria.
Which means you can open PayPal account in Nigeria and link your wema Bank details to it.
Can paypal send money to Nigeria bank account?
Yes, you can open PayPal account in Nigeria either personal or business account to pay bills, or shop online you can also receive funds online into your Nigerian bank account.
Question: Hello, i have a naira visa debit card and tried to open PayPal account in Nigeria but, i get a message of card was not accepted. Please what should do?
Answer: Your card must be specifically enabled for international transactions by your card issuer. There is a chance your Naira Visa Debit card is not. I suggest you talk to your bank.
PayPal is very good for online commercial transactions, it makes things easy and safe for people online, you can buy or sell with PayPal.
It has turned our society into boundaryless society where you can perform any commercial transactions internationally very fast and secure.
As as a freelancer or digital marketer I will advice you to open PayPal account in Nigeria, it will help you to receive and send funds with ease.
Did you have any question?